Skip to main content

Reply to "area code games?"

Brent and others;

There is a history behind the Area Code Baseball Games and tryouts. In 1987, when I started the games, we only selected players from California. From Day 1, the players were selected by pro scouts and coached by pro scouts. They were the best high players we could locate. We did not charge a fee and for 19 years never did.

The major reason for the Area Code Games was to select players, who could compete with the best players in Japan, Korea and later Australia. The "World Cup". We achieved this goal, since 40% of the American players have made the Major Leagues roster.

The Goodwill Series events [1983-2006] and the teaching of the game by our professionals is now my mission.

However, I am happy that the Major League scouts/coaches continue to make the decisions on the players involved in the tryouts and the games. My final year with the AC games was 2004. Student Sports now owns the AC games.

There has been little "politics" over the years and of course, several future "high drafts" did not make an Area Code team.

Each year the Team coaches will communicate with each other in the effort to find the beat players.

"My greatest memory was the night Josh Beckett pitched in front of 330 pro scouts at Blair Field in Long Beach". Albert Pujois and Hank Blalock also played in the games in 1998.

Please call your favorite scout and request a call to the nearest AC coach for the tryout opportunity.

If you are "really good" contact Goodwill Series for the America/Japan Series
in June and September. We need 3 "mentally tough" pitchers and one left handed hitting outfielder.

Bob Williams