Skip to main content

Reply to "Area Code Team Tryouts"

Unfortunately the child's game has turned into a business. Even at the select level. With the fight for scholarship money, coaches and players have to be business like.

It would be nice if it were just playing with you neighborhood buddies, and if you are good enough, getting to play at the next level. It isn't that way. People have to play against the best competition. So you pay bundles of money to do so (select). Parents want their children to have fun, but with all that output of money, they want results and effort. Not in a bad way, more in the way of saying, "hey junior, if you do this I will support you, but you need to to work at it. If all you want to do is hang out with friends and play, that is fine. Play rec ball"

College coaches want to spend their money wisely. It is just business. Parents search for the best fit of scholly and academics. They would like some return on their investment. Pro scouts want to know how much it will take. it is just business. Times have changed. Just the way it is. A child like love for the game gets lost in all of the striving and competition. jmo

I am never happier than when my son calls and is so happy about his performance, or has a funny story about his friends. It is hard to balance the business end with the just love playing. Something I have noticed even through all of the business end is that the players who don't LOVE it, don't last. Though it may make us sad to see all the bad things with all the striving. Most do it because they love to play the game and are willing to jump through some hoops to insure that they get a chance.