Skip to main content

Reply to "Area Code Team Tryouts"

quote:
Originally posted by Line Drive:
My real question this. Who changed first? Was it the kids and parents or the system? And did the kids really abandon playing for the love of the game or have they just added this new behavior (attending showcases) in response to changes in the overall system that decides who gets to the next level of the game they still love to play?

LD, I think it is just a sign of the times. It starts with the tremendous money, media and selfishness at the professional player. (I don't mean all professional players, just more and more of them. They are default role models, like it or not, although parents are still responsible for setting the record straight. Ultimately every kid dreams of the big leagues so it is only natural that if they really love the game and the dream, they'll go anywhere to make sure they get their shot.... of course with parents willing, support. What generation are we in? ... the "me" generation? I do also blame Title 9/10 or whatever is that screwed up most of the men's minor collegiate sports to divert money into women's athletics. The end result is college coaches have to be manipulate their limited scholarships and resources any way they can.