Skip to main content

Reply to "Area Code Tryout Rules and Ideas."

Fruity;

Hopefully, I will answer your question, since the Area Code games were created in 1987 with only 6 California teams. I copied the idea from the Nike Basketball Camps.

The pro scouts select the players for the tryouts and games. Each ML Scout/Area GM will operate his tryout with his own formula.
The tryout is similar to a pro tryout and notification maybe 30 days later to only the selected players.

The end result is the same. Find players with "tools" and invite the best 25 players to Long Beach.

Since I am no longer involved with the Area Code games, I can observe the current trends of parents, players, college coaches and pro scouts from the "Press Box".

The Goodwill Series [1983-2006] with Australia and Japan National Teams now requires my total focus on player selection.

Our American Team of 18 players, ages 16-18
need to be prepared to play the "best" players in the World.

This series is truly a "World Cup" of High School baseball. Pro scouts will again help us select the American Team.

Our tour to Japan next June is confirmed. Our team will play in High School Baseball Stadiums seating 20,000 people.

Thank you for posting your questions.

Bob Williams