Skip to main content

Reply to "Area Code Tryouts at Bentley College this Weekend"

thankfully my son is a pitcher, or it would have been a very long day in the hot sun.  I felt bad for the fielders who had to wait so long for the individual pitching to finish up as we headed to the parking lot at noon.  I am actually confused over what teams were being selected, as we were there for the "rivalry team" (boston vs. NY) and a slot to play at Yankee Stadium this summer.  He did not get a callback for the Area Code Northeast Yankees, not sure if there is opportunity beyond that somehow.  Regardless I thought the college scout turnout was very good for New England and was surprised to see so many southern schools represented.  As for the comment that many colleges left after the pitching, when it comes to big programs, they are only looking for pitching up here because our season is so short and there is a lot less wear and tear on the New England arms.  Southern schools generally don't need to look far for positional players with a good bat.  My son was really happy with his bullpen and many of the schools he is talking to were in attendance so mission accomplished for the day.