Skip to main content

Reply to "Arguing balls and strikes"

We had a situation in a game last week that involved balls and strikes which has irked me more and more as I continue to think about it.

We had a hitter rung up on a called strike three. The pitch was so low and outside that the catcher had gone down to block the pitch. I didn't argue because what good is that going to do, but it was a horrible call.

After the inning, the plate ump comes over to me and says if so and so wants to stay in the game, he needs to be quiet. He goes on to tell me that after the call the kid said to the ump "Are you kidding me?"

Now, I understand you can't argue balls and strikes, and no matter how bad you think a call is, it's not arguable. However, the more I think about it, the more it P's me off that an ump would not only make such a terrible call, but he would react in such a way to a fairly innocent comment. Maybe from an ump's perspective it's not as innocent. I would have to think most umps realize when they blow a call, as was the case here, but this guy obviously didn't or I think he would have let the comment go.
Last edited by Emanski's Heroes