Skip to main content

Reply to "Arguing balls and strikes"

Normally Balls and Strikes dont' really concern me that much. Most Umps are consistent. Either the zone is High, Low, he's either giving corners or not, or worse case, it's armpit to ankles. I don't let my guys use the Ump as an excuse. I tell 'em to look for THEIR pitch until 2 strikes, then adjust to what the Umpire is calling.

I did however get tossed last year at a Sunday Travel Doubleheader. Ump in question is LEGALLY BLIND (I'm NOT joking). He has since been assigned to only 8u and 9U stuff..and few of those.

So anyway, we're losing the 2nd game of the day. Like 7-1 or something. So one of my guys hits a double. The next guy hits a shot to the OF. The runner from 2nd base comes in to score. The throw is on time, but the catcher is a bit too far up the 3rd base line, and my runner back doors him, slides around the tag, rolls over and hits home plate.

NOW PAY ATTENTION to the EXACT ORDER of what happened....and I'm NOT exaggerating here..

1. Kid slides around tag.
2. Catcher KNOWS he missed him, throws ball back to pitcher.
3. Opposing Coach yells "No problem, it's only 1 run, you're fine."
4. Pitcher gets ready to toe the rubber.
5. "Ump" yells "OUT!!!"

Half of the sunflower seeds in my mouth fell out I'm sure. I'm on the 3rd base, and the opposing coach is in the dugout near me...I hear him say "HUH?"

The CATCHER looks at the UMP and says (Loud enough for myself, and other coaches, parents to HEAR)

"I never tagged him...."

Ump repeats "OUT".

It's the 3rd out. The Opposing team is STILL in their position wondering what is going on.

I approach the Umpire...(still haven't said a word).

This is our exchange

ME: "Blue..can I talk to you for a second."

BLIND MAN: "Back to your dugout Coach."

(Note I approached from 3rrd base, NOT my dugout)

ME: "We can't dicuss that play?"

BLIND MAN: "I'm NOT going to ARGUE WITH YOU!!! Get off MY FIELD before I eject you."

ME: "Really?"

BLIND MAN: "YES!!!"

I start walking TOWARD MY DUGOUT. I have to GO PAST THE UMP to get there.

BLIND MAN: "I SAID GET BACK TO YOUR DUGOUT COACH!!"

ME: "I'm trying. It's over there" (Me pointing)

BLIND MAN: "That's it....you're pushing me."

So I continued to walk to my dugout..as I pass him he mutters

"That's what I thought!!!"

ME: (just loud enough for him to hear)

" you really need to open your eyes Magoo. You're missing a GOOD GAME"

He runs me. Then proceeds to tell me I'm BANNED from the rest of the USSSA League doubleheaders, and the playoffs, and i'm pretty sure he banned me from youth baseball for life somewhere in his tirade.

The League Director approached me (laughing) and said don't worry, I'll see you next Sunday.

At this point BOTH teams and parents and LAUGHING....I mean LAUGHING. I'm gathering my stuff up. The UMPIRE walks towards or dugout and tells the kids to "PIPE DOWN".

I politely tell Mr.Umpire that running me is fine. But if he steps in the dugout and continues to gesture like he is at 11 and 12 year old kids, I'm thinking that two of the Dads in the stands who happen to be members of law enforcement, probably wouldn't be too thrilled with him.

He stutters and walks away.

AS I'm walking to the truck, the opposing coach catches up to me and has this really odd look on his face. He then lets me know that he was trying to keep his mouth shut the entire game...because that Ump was who they were taking to Cooperstown.

I lost some more seeds.