Skip to main content

Reply to "Arguing balls and strikes"

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
quote:
While you may very well know what constitutues a chop block, what you described is not necessarily a chop block. There are other considerations.

Jimmy03: I'm no football expert, but I am pretty sure what I described is definitely a chop block no matter what:

Chop Block (Rule 2-3-3). The definition of the chop block has been simplified to assist in the understanding of this rule and to encourage more consistent officiating. A chop block is now defined as a high-low or low-high combination block by any two players against an opponent (other than the runner) anywhere on the field, with or without a delay between contacts. The “low” component is at the opponent’s thigh or below.

As I suggested in my post, I thought you probably knew what a chop block was. However, if you go back and read what you wrote: " When engaging the offensive lineman, another lineman takes his legs out." your definition, as that of most coaches is incomplete. No where did you indicate that this required a high/low or low high combination. Your original description would have included a low/low combination.

I don't mean to be nitpicking, but after dealing years of dealing with coaches who have incomplete knowledge of chop blocks, or none at all, I've become suspect when someone starts to talk about chop blocks.