Skip to main content

Reply to "Arguing balls and strikes"

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:

Chop Block (Rule 2-3-3). The definition of the chop block has been simplified to assist in the understanding of this rule and to encourage more consistent officiating. A chop block is now defined as a high-low or low-high combination block by any two players against an opponent (other than the runner) anywhere on the field, with or without a delay between contacts. The “low” component is at the opponent’s thigh or below.

Rob, was this a college game? I ask because you are quoting the NCAA rule.

In Federation, a chop block occurs only when there is a low block at or below the knee of a player that is already being engaged by another blocker. I have not seen the actual foul occur too often in games that I've done.

It is perfectly legal for two offensive linemen to block a defender high and low as long as it is at the same time, or if the there is a delay between blocks, the low block is the first block.

Now it is certainly possible what was happening to your son was illegal, I wasn't there and you were but that is how the rule is. I do find that it is often misunderstood, even by well respected coaches.

To bring this back to basebal, I've yet to toss any coaches for arguing balls or strikes.
Last edited by Welpe