Skip to main content

Reply to "Arguing balls and strikes"

What's with the highjack? The guy brought up football because of the relationship between the coaches and officials, not because he wanted to argue whether his son was actually getting chop blocked or not.

I was the assistant coach at a Christian school this year, our schools promoted sportsmanship probably more so than some of the schools I played for. I knew my place with relation to conversations with umpires. I asked one question about a possible balk which was not called. I was happy with the response of the umpire, it wouldn't have mattered what his response was. I knew that he knew that I was tuned in and vice versa. I will be Head Coach next year so...

I believe that getting ejected for a purpose helps the team. That's just my contention because my coaches have done it and it worked for us. And I'm perfectly willing to do it. But as the Coach of a Christian school, I'm not sure how the administration would like that. I wouldn't worry too much about the Christian example for the players...not in this post anyway. But balls and strikes? I respect the two coaches that got tossed for B/S. I guess that they didn't have a chance to argue other calls because the wide strike zone didn't allow many runners on.