Skip to main content

Reply to "Arizona Fall Classic--Senior All Academic Tryout"

AD2018 posted:

Good to know that the Tryout is at least 4 hours.  I was trying to gauge value ($150+ plane/hotel).  How many players are at the Academic Tryout?  And, how many are selected for the Academic game?  If you are not selected for the Academic game (and you're not part of a team), could the event still be of value...egg. a College coach still likes you from the 4 hour Tryout?

Also, more general question...if the player has already been seen by the Ivies, or other academic D1s, but did not generate any interest from the initial viewing, can things change...and all of a sudden a good performance at the Academic Tryout, generates interest?  I guess real question is...is the Academic Tryout used as a last minute shopping spot for unexpected Trickle-down openings that weren't present a month prior?

For the AZ Fall Junior Classic last year:  The event was very well organized.  Total of 227 kids, they held tryouts from 8-1:30, and posted 2 teams of 27 kids that played each other last night in SD Padres spring facility stadium.  Each team consisted of  9 pitchers, 17 position players, 1 DH.  With the position players getting 4.5 innings of play and 3 AB's.

I don't think we'll attend with my 2018, but what your saying in the second paragraph makes sense about last minute shopping for some because they've had a decommit or issue with a kid and admissions.  Also, if a college is seeing a player for the first time, the tryout is likely not enough for a coach to make a decision; they'll want to watch him in games that weekend.  Maybe sign up, the fee or a portion of it may be refundable up to a certain date.  That way at least your son can attend the academic tryout day, then find a team.  Beware, we've been told the senior academic tryout is more difficult to get into than the junior academic...  So get the conversation going with Tracy at AZ Classic.  I sent video last year and she shared it with her sons (who run the event) and it "seemed" to make their decision easier to let him attend.  Maybe not, could have simply been where he was on the their list and just a numbers thing.

Edited: I found my notes from last years AZ Junior Fall Classic posted on this site

Last edited by Gov