Skip to main content

Reply to "Arm Action is King"

quote:
Originally posted by Roger Tomas:
Chris, do you really know to what extent to which the inverted W is actually taught? I can't say I've ever heard anyone teach it.

I don't know for sure.

I do know that I have come across multiple people who teach (or at least advocate)...

1. Breaking the hands with the elbows.
2. Picking up the ball with the elbows.

I believe many people have gotten this either directly or indirectly from PN in CT as part of the whole Scapular Loading thing.

Also, the similarity in the arm action of many of the guys who come out of USC (e.g. Mark Prior and Anthony Reyes and to a lesser degree Ian Kennedy) makes me suspect that it was taught (or at least advocated) there for some period of time.

I think the whole Mark Prior debacle have made people rethink the idea, which I think is a VERY good thing.

However, and as I said before, this is just a supposition.

quote:
Instead, I'd suspect that its use comes about due to the physiological needs for loading up the arm. For example, someone with more flexibility (or even a case of G.I.R.D.) might need to use that action to achieve a good load.

All I can say is "maybe".

I have a pitcher on my 12U team who seems to have come up with it on his own. I can't break him of the habit.

quote:
If there is something injurious about this, then would it not be the underlying physiological issues and not the arm action itself that are the precursors to injury?

Maybe, but I doubt it.

I say that because I agree with House when he says that 80 percent of a pitcher's power is generated in the torso. As a result, I believe that Arm action is over-rated.
Last edited by thepainguy