Skip to main content

Reply to "Arm Conditioning/ Velocity Program"

Kyle Boddy posted:
Steve A. posted:

For me, the weighted baseball issue is boiled down to this: With all of the $$, research & resources available to MLB to examine the effectiveness balanced vs the risk of these programs, the vast majority have said NO to their use.

Who is the target market for these programs? Developing youth players. Developing youth players will see a spike in velocity by simply existing & aging & eating Captain Crunch cereal. Add a velo program & you can measure & see results with this group. Especially when the youth player does virtually no training.

Give me a MLB roster of pitchers who are fully developed adults who train & throw regularly as they do & add this weighted ball program & show me a spike in velocity. It won't happen. You may see a spike in injury. This is why it is not employed at the level that has the most to gain from the "effectiveness" of these programs (MLB).

This is simply wrong. I work for 5 MLB teams and seven pitchers from one team are currently in Seattle training on the team's dime. The entirety of the Cleveland Indians' minor league teams throw weighted balls; take a look at Goodyear during Spring Training if you don't believe me.

JP Hoornstra wrote about our work with the Dodgers and the results. I've worked for the Astros. You can see verified information in The Arm by Jeff Passan.

Major League pitching coach Brent Strom (and his bullpen coach, Craig Bjornson) are good friends of mine and supporters.

Basically it sounds like you've done zero research into it all before spouting off BS. Maybe consider that next time.

EDIT: By the way, the level that has the most to gain from a weighted ball program is not MLB. It would be their lower-level minor league pitchers to develop tradeable or promotable assets.

EDIT2: Our programs are heavily targeted towards late HS and college/pro arms, not youth pitchers. We train very few youth pitchers. I can't speak for our competition.

Last time I checked there were 30 teams. "The vast majority have said no." Learn to read.