Skip to main content

Reply to "Arm Conditioning/ Velocity Program"

Steve A. posted:
Matt Reiland posted:

The real secret is Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but you have to drink the cinnamon-y milk left in the bowl at the end to see the most benefit.

Regarding the other topic at hand, when you talk of arm conditioning, I would lean pretty heavily towards a long toss program.  I don't really delve into weighted ball programs so I can't speak one way or the other on the effectiveness, but believe in the effectiveness of long toss particularly in the "arm conditioning" realm.

Matt,

Agree but am not an advocate of the "extreme long toss" programs. What is your take?

Varies by the individual.  Think about it in the same terms as using 95% max weights in the weight room.  There is a time and place.  Someone new to long toss that doesn't have accumulated volume at "medium-long" distances shouldn't jump in and stretch it out as far as possible right off the bat.

Similarly, the middle of the high school season is probably not the time to test out a new max back squat in the weight room.  It's probably also not the time to be stretching long toss out to the absolute max several times a week.

However, for someone in the middle of the off-season, who has been building up the distance over the course of weeks, I can see benefits in terms of arm speed, durability, and overall arm health to doing long toss at near maximal distances as a component of a strength & conditioning program.