Skip to main content

Reply to "Arm slots"

quote:
To reduce the speed that much by simply changing grips is difficult for me to fathom. If I throw the same way with my arm and open my hips at the same speed as my fb and the only difference is how I hold the ball in my hand is different, than I know I will probably get a different kind of movement on the ball but the speed will not change that much.

My son has a 94 mph fb and an 80 mph change to go along with an 84 mph bb. So it can be done, which negates your assertion. The key is to take the 2-4 years needed to accomplish the task and not "cheat" by looking for now results. Thus my comment that it took my son 3 years to master. We did not settle for shortcuts.

Grateful is a very accomplished college pitching coach. That is why I value his opinion. The college level needs "now" results and I see the value in dragging the foot or opening up. The pro level needs deception and that is what we trained my son for. Pro level hitters will see changes in form and be alerted and adjust. That is why J. Santana, of the Twins, is so devastating. His change of motion is non existant. Different needs for different levels. I wanted my son to be proficient at higher levels and not compromise shortcuts for "now" success.