Skip to main content

Reply to "Arrogant and Cocky"

I've seen both.  Sons have actually been called both but I think you have to have confidence which is my word to some degree when you step across any line onto the playing field/court.  It will come across to some as cocky but the really good ones exude confidence.  When a confident pitcher/hitter is playing against you, it will come across as confidence.  Asked a kid once what he was thinking while throwing a no-hitter and he said I was so good today with all of my pitches that I didn't care who they put in the box I knew I could beat him.  He might get a hit off me but I was gonna beat him more than he would beat me.  Not a cocky kid but confident in his pitches that day.  I think we see cockiness when it is on our team or the team we pull for but we put up with it if that player is successful as fans/teammates.  It is when cockiness hurts you that you really don't like it.  (When the batter before you or pitcher in the last inning shows up the other team, and you are the one who gets hit or you get a tiny strike zone or big strike zone because of the other player or they get a penalty which hurts the team.)  Fine line but in most cases a clear fine line.  I think in today's world it is not as clear a line in baseball because there are written and unwritten rules.  Per Castellanos' actions the other night.  Old school says it is across the line and young guys say you hit me I flex in your face, karma.