Skip to main content

Reply to "Article and Book on Chinese Parents"

quote:
Originally posted by tres_arboles:
Well the essay is having it's intended effect. The Wall Street Journal site that published the excerpt now has 2500+ comments in one day. Penguin released the book, "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom" (from which the article is excerpted) today and it debuts at #11 on the Amazon best seller list. Amy Chua (author) is doing the publicity circuit including appearance on the network morning shows and an interview with Meredith Viera. However, she also appears to be in something of a backpedalling mode, disclaiming the headline for the excerpt, describing the book as here memoir of "coming of age as a mom," and how she is backing off that model. Her publicity releases today are also claiming the excerpt is meant to be over the top, humorous, and satirristic. I guess the bottom line is all this does is sell books. No more taking the bait for me.

I really thought that it was meant to be over the top, humorous and a satire actually?

Check this out, wikipedia states in an interview before her new book she claimed that although her kids speak chinese they were "raised jewish".

She didn't fool me one bit. Wink
Last edited by TPM