Skip to main content

Reply to "Article from ABCA Convention Concerning Proposed Changes"

I don't think early recruiting is all that much of an issue. There are stories of players who didn't develop properly losing their scholarship and all that. But realistically, most 8th and 9th graders committing to top programs are either being drafted or end up at these programs (even if it doesn't last). Most of the kids you see committing early to Vandy or Florida typically end up there or end up signing for a few million. 

If they really want to end early recruiting, they should say no contact at all before June 1 during/after their sophomore year. Too many loopholes. They can talk but only in regards to camp, or you can call them but they can't call you. You can take official visits sooner, but not too soon. It's nonsense. Make a hard date with a hard ZERO contact clause and see how it works out or get rid of all the rules and let players commit at 13. I think the current setup is silly and I think letting a 14 year old choose a college before they enter HS is ridiculous as well, but for the NCAA to step in a tell families when they can/can't visit colleges and limit who they can/can't talk to is even more ridiculous.