Skip to main content

Reply to "Article from ABCA Convention Concerning Proposed Changes"

PABaseball posted:

I think the issue is the contact not the actual offer. If you can't have any contact with a player before June of their second year of HS, you can't offer. No contact thru, email, phone, text, whatever. The way we have it now, there are so many ways around it. If the NCAA really cared about early commits they would just go to PG look up all the 2023 commits, head to these kids instagram/twitter page to confirm and investigate. The no contact route puts all schools on the same playing field. If they don't want to go this route, they need to just stop regulating it completely. The current rules in place make no sense and do not benefit anybody. 

I don't have a problem with coaches contacting kids....in fact, I almost wish they could do it earlier, as the coaches are proposing.  At least that way you know everyone is on the same page.  As it is now, coaches have to go thru the travel coach, HS coach, or who knows who else to let a kid know they are interested....then the kid has to call them.   It's not the contact that is bothering people....it's the fact that coaches can offer an 8th grader with no repercussions if they decide 3 years later that they don't want the kid.   Heck, my son having to grow up and call and talk to a college coach was probably the best thing that ever happened to him.  His first call, I almost had to hold him down and force him to talk to the coach.  2 weeks later he was asking me if it's too soon to call the coach again.   It was unreal how much better he handled conversations with adults, coaches or otherwise, once he started communicating with them on a regular basis. 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015