Skip to main content

Reply to "As the end of high school nears, it's fun to look back...."

jemaz,

Thanks

Great story and great memories I'm sure. If like my experience, there's much more that will unfold in the future.

The only youth team I coached will never be forgotten (by me).

There were many players who went on to good high school and college careers. A couple even played pro ball with one making it to the Big Leagues. A couple others are now college baseball coaches. And a couple work for us at Perfect Game.

I tried to talk one of our young players into concentrating on baseball, but he decided to play football in college. Probably a good thing “Kurt Warner” (2 time NFL MVP) didn’t listen to his old baseball coach.

It is always fun to reminisce. Don’t be surprised when one of your former players, that you least expect, ends up being one of the best.

I also have fond memories about the players I coached in College. Several played professional baseball with one making it to AAA and one to the Big Leagues. From a pride standpoint, I really am proud of those who are in coaching. Our small college produced players who went on to coach at DI schools, small colleges, Juco’s and High Schools. One of our former players sits in the Chicago Cubs dugout. He is the Cubs strength and Conditioning coach. Many others are still involved with baseball in some way.

Makes me feel good to know, in some small way, we helped create or continue a real love for the game in some people. I think that is what best determines success in coaching.