Skip to main content

Reply to "As the season approaches"

I have been posting for a while now and lots of you know some things about me. I played one year of JuCo ball (as a 2 way player) and 3 years at top tier D1 program in Texas as a RHP. I was lucky enough to play on a Texas HS state Championship team and 2 SWC Championship teams. I had a few moments of glory but I was never a star. But I played with teammates that were and I saw firsthand what it takes to be one. Nowhere in that journey did I ever play for a good coach. When my playing days were over I had quite a disdain for the coaching profession and I had nothing to do with baseball for many years other than following the game. Then I got married and had 3 boys. As they grew up they all developed an interest in sports so I began coaching them in football, basketball, and baseball. My oldest son gravitated to swimming and was a really good  in HS. At that point I was out on his coaching. But I continued to coach my other 2 sons all the way up to their HS years. It started with rec ball and progressed into travel ball and all told it was something like 25 seasons. Along the way I became good at teaching kids how to pitch. As my kids got older I noticed that I enjoyed working with older kids more than younger ones. I saw that kids were getting bad instruction so I got involved with some local high school programs and began to help their pitchers. Along the way I partnered up with a like minded guy that has an identical background. Together we now coach/instruct/mentor a group of 20 or so pitchers. Some are HS, some are college, and one is pro. We help all of them get better any way we can, including finding places for them to play in college. It’s a side gig for both of us as we have real jobs that pay the bills. But working with kids is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. A year ago I had to do some home renovations that required me to clean out all the bedrooms. I used that as an opportunity to purge all the things that collected in those rooms. My youngest son had left the most stuff in my house by far. As I sorted thru it I remembered that someone had once put together a scrapbook for me and that it was meaningful. So I decided to do the same for Alec. I sorted everything by years (1-19) and  found a retired school teacher (Nancy) that made scrapbooks as a hobby. I gave her memorabilia from all the teams that we had ever been involved with and some family stuff too. It took a month for her to put it together and she did a wonderful job. Since Alec is still playing it was made in a way where things could be added to it. As the 2019 season went on some magical things began to happen and I kept collecting more things to give to Nancy. His JuCo team got hot and won a Regional and then did the unthinkable and won a JuCo National Championship. It was a storybook season and one of the best teams I have ever seen. Not the most talented necessarily but great team chemistry. That is why they won. It is all documented in print articles, photos, videos, etc. and all added to the book. Me and Nancy will continue to add to the book and someday when his playing career is over I will get great joy out of giving the book to Alec. It is a great remembrance of all things we did together as father and son and I love it that baseball is at the center of it. Not sure the point of this post other than the ones that proceed it made me nostalgic.