Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking a College Coach Where One Stands in the Recruiting Process"

slotty posted:

This might be a little simplistic but....

Your son to the recruiting coach: "I want to make sure I am totally prepared and able to make an informed decision when the time comes--regardless of where I wind up. Can you share with me what your timetable is?"

Not sure of this exact wording, but a 16-17 yo having a casual conversation with the RC/PC/other probably would not be disqualified for making some inquiries into a school's timetable for moving forward with their remaining class recruits.  The other comment about not coaching up a kid too much is also great advice.  Some kids can already talk like a used car salesman and would have no problem working this conversation and adapting to the various possible responses.  Others kids might have to write it down beforehand and might freeze up if they get any  mild push back.  This idea of wanting to understand the timeline could simply be spoken out loud and not even phrased as a question as in...

"I want to make sure I am totally prepared and able to make an informed decision when the time comes--regardless of where I wind up. It would be nice to get a decision made but I'm not sure what everybody's timetable is.  In the meantime I'm really looking forward to this summer and senior season."

Coach on the other end may quickly change the subject (at which point you might guess that there is no immediate offer likely) or they might take this opportunity to maybe probe a little further and maybe throw out some additional information ("We're waiting for the high school season to wrap up and maybe seem some early summer ball." - as in they are still looking - or they may be ready and ask what your son's timetable is.)

I'll repeat my advice that too much coaching could backfire and you cannot afford for your son to be shuffling scripted responses - but if he is at ease with the coach, then simply cracking the door open for the conversation might get him a little further down the road information wise.