Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking a Power-5 D1 College Coach to Give a Recommendation to Mid Major Coach. Is it OK?"

WestCoastPapa posted:
TPM posted:
SultanofSwat posted:

You're not making any sense.

Why would you want to tell the midmajor coach that you are also considering the P5 school?

You are in the middle of a negotiation.  These coaches need to feel like they are the only one.

Exactly.

Why would you want to tell the P5 coach that you want to go somewhere else?

As stated in the OP, the P5 coach, who has seen son play and play well, has indicated very clearly that their 2019 slots are full and that there is no more room to take on another player from that class at this time. Thanking the P5 coach and telling him that you will move on for an opportunity at another school that is still looking for 2019's equates to not making any sense?

You are in the middle of a negotiation.  These coaches need to feel like they are the only one.

The mid major came into the picture a couple of months ago and is very interested but is out of state and it may take some time before son gets in front of him. Telling a mid major coach that a P5 program was taking a serious look before he came into the picture equates to not making sense?

As far as making the coaches feel like they are the only one, I've heard more advice on HSBBWeb indicating that when multiple coaches are interested, that is when offers become more eminent. If the coach thinks his program is the only one, isn't that counterproductive? To me, it seems coaches don't make a move on most recruits unless they absolutely have to. 

Sorry about the misunderstanding on my part.

Let's leave out being in negotiation part.

First of all, are you assuming that if perhaps the P5 had a spot filled he might get a chance, or was this a very kind way of letting your son know that the program wasn't for him. So you don't REALLY know how he felt about your son. Maybe your son did well in front of him, however most people really don't know what a coach needs in a player, or how he really feels about the player. You see most people think that because you hit the ball or strike out the side, you will turn heads.

Think about this...what makes your son different than the rest of the players in his grade year. That turns heads. That creates interest. 

If the mid major coach really liked your son, he would find a way to find out about your son, more than likely by getting in touch with a scout, coach, etc. from your area. ? for you. Does this out of state take out of state players? If he was seriously considering he would have asked who has seen him play?  That's how it works, usually. 

But your son is a 2019, he has time. Let him go out this summer and be seen where he would be interested in playing.  I am in no way being negative about your son, just want others to know that recruiting a player has a lot of moving parts to it and realistically no coach should really offer a player without watching him multiple times.

By all means if you and he feels that it's appropriate have your son ask if he wants to talk to someone who has seen him play.

Last edited by TPM