Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking coaches their level of interest?"

Also, if he is travelling a long way without a definite offer from the coach, someone has to listen carefully to what the "offer" actually is - with D3s this can vary a lot.  If the coach says "I have 6 names that I can send to admissions with a 99% guarantee, and yours is one of them" is different from "I send a list to admissions and you will be on it but ultimately it is up to them, but if you get in I would love to have you on the team" which is different from "I don't have a slot for you/room on my list, but if you get in on your own you have a place on the team."   If a parent isn't going with the player, then you have to educate the player ahead of time to listen for one of these.  (in fact, perhaps the coach has said something like this to the player on the phone, you should ask!). 

I think it makes perfect sense to say to other schools that you are scheduling visits and would like to know where you are on their board because you have strong interest in the school.

Part of the equation has to be:  how selective is the school, how likely is it that your son would get in without coach support, how much risk are you/he willing to take?