Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking coaches their level of interest?"

Ok these are painful but necessary responses. Thank you.

My husband and I will need marriage therapy when this is done, him being a perpetual dreamer/ optimist and me a realist, erring toward paranoia. 

So my son is set to OV at two schools at the end of September. One coach has told my son he is their “top guy”. The other has said they could have used his pitching this year. Both have sent handwritten notes, texts or emails regularly and have spoken to him on the phone. Son has their notes pinned to the wall above his desk.

HOWEVER, yesterday I search the names of these schools on here and discover that they are both unable to support players in admissions within their conference. Son is a good student but in no way a student that is anywhere near guaranteed admission at these high academic schools! What the heck. Neither coach has expressed any concern to him about this, as of yet, and plane tickets have been purchased.

They both saw him play at Headfirst, where test scores and GPA are part of player profile. And son remembers getting unofficial transcripts to one of them and gave GPA to the other. They met my husband and talked to him about our kid, expressed their interest and desire for him to come out.

So obviously my son needs to be in touch ASAP and ask the pointed questions re: admissions support. Any other advice? Should he call or text or email?

Thank you for all the help. If not for this website, I wouldn’t have caught this prior to the trip. He didn’t think that question was necessary, given the eagerness of these coaches and the fact that they had his grades!