Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking coaches their level of interest?"

TS2020 posted:

So my son is set to OV at two schools at the end of September. One coach has told my son he is their “top guy”. The other has said they could have used his pitching this year. Both have sent handwritten notes, texts or emails regularly and have spoken to him on the phone. Son has their notes pinned to the wall above his desk.

HOWEVER, yesterday I search the names of these schools on here and discover that they are both unable to support players in admissions within their conference. Son is a good student but in no way a student that is anywhere near guaranteed admission at these high academic schools! What the heck. Neither coach has expressed any concern to him about this, as of yet, and plane tickets have been purchased.

So obviously my son needs to be in touch ASAP and ask the pointed questions re: admissions support. Any other advice? Should he call or text or email?

While it's true that certain schools get more help with admissions then others none of us really know for sure. Many of us have had a lot of experience with many different schools, but staffs change, admission's policies change, school financial situations change. In the HA D3 world if your son is a borderline student - varsity baseball player- is usually enough to get him over the hump. If it isn't, that is where the coach intervenes and tries to push a few kids thru. Even if the coach doesn't have that pull at the school, he is still putting a list together of kids that will be on the time if accepted and sending it to admissions. What they do with that information is up to them, but it is something. When people say a coach has no pull they might mean a coach can't walk in and tell them that Joe Smith will be accepted.  They can still give a list of guys they want. A school where the 25% of accepted students is a 1410 and your kid has a 1370 - "varsity baseball player" should get the job done. 

A good question to ask the coach is "How do you think I'll do with admissions?" If he says he can't guarantee anything then it might have to be a school you guys eliminate. It might be something where you say it's worth the risk. But I wouldn't go committing anywhere until you know for sure that he will be accepted and have a roster spot in the fall. First, take the visits and see how he likes the schools. They are not for everybody, he might hate every second of the visit. Admissions is still a part of the process. Sometimes the grades just won't cut it. But see how it goes, meet with some reps while on campus and have the conversation with the coach in person. I'm sure he would not be inviting your son up if he knew he had no shot at getting in.