Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking coaches their level of interest?"

Iowamom23 posted:
TS2020 posted:

Update: The original email sent to my son was not forwarded to mom (something I’ve asked him to do so we can help him stay on top of all the communication).

So this is slightly off topic, but just a thought on communication and kids.

I'm all in with having kids take the lead on communication with coaches, but I also know that my kid doesn't always get the nuance of communication nor does he always know what needs to be forwarded. So in HS we set up an email box for him on my account (like a sub account??). He used it for all coach communication, so i could go in and read what was there when I had questions.

And while some may not like this, I also have access to his student account at college. He runs it, but every now and then I can check in to make sure he's actually registered for classes, bought books and done all the little things he kind of floats by. And sometimes when I ask questions he just says "there's an email, can you just read it cause I didn't understand it?"

It saves me having to quiz him about stuff, but lets me remind him (gently) to make sure he's getting done what he needs to do.

AMEN.   I had/have access to my son's personal email account and checked it regularly during recruiting and have access to my son's college email account and do the same.  I know someone is going to say let him grow up and I rarely have to say anything to him but I also have a strong vested interest in his college as long as I am paying so I agree with Iowamom23 and want to make sure he has done everything he has to do.