Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking coaches their level of interest?"

Chico Escuela posted:

So should my son schedule other overnights now at schools in addition to the one he thinks is his first choice? 

I agree that much can change when you visit during the school year, meet members of the team, etc.  The visit to current top choice is in early October.  Should the boy schedule visits with other schools this fall as well?  Any visits would require plane tickets, and my son's travel coach advised him to save the money, at least until after the early October visit.  I have no wish to spend money I don't need to; but arranging travel on very short notice during the three weeks between that visit and the ED deadline would be expensive and difficult. How bad would it be to schedule an overnight and then cancel it if my son decides he has found the school he wants to attend? 

Only you can decide your budget. I would have zero worries about telling the program that you can't make an OV. Just don't expect an offer from them, unless your player has really caught their imagination.

In general, though, I would try to get your son to meet the team, if possible. My 2018 lucked out with his team (he had only met a couple of kids beforehand), but you never know what you are going to find when you visit. I know of one VERY HA school where large numbers of the team do coke after games.