Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking college coaches questions"

quote:
have a son at a mid level D1 school and I was surprised with the amount of time involved and how structured his day actually is.

Nope, I don't think you are guilty of anything.
But I think you focused on a major difference, in addition to the difference in training table/nutrition and especially strength/conditioning.
At competitive DI programs, the day is very structured for the player.
At DIII, the player is far more responsible for the structure of their day. Baseball/coaching staff does not structure the day, but baseball and being responsive to the coaching requirements is a very big part of the player's responsibility to structure their day.
One aspect of our son's experience in college was the baseball team's intramural flag football games. In his senior year, they finished baseball practice/fall game at around 9pm. Showered and headed to the football field. They had an 11:30pm championship game against a team made up mostly from 5th year accounting students, 99% of whom had competed on the DIII nationally ranked football team the year before as seniors(baseball team won for the first time in his 4 years.)
I don't think that will/would happen at the DI level, but it was a part of that college experience(baseball team in flag football games) he loved.
Last edited by infielddad