Skip to main content

Reply to "Assumption on playing college ball"

Francis7 posted:

I don't know much about college ball. But, I'm trying to learn.

At this point, I have an assumption formed in my head. Tell me if it's dead wrong, correct, or neither right or wrong but confused and needs to be adjusted (and how) to be more accurate.

This is in reference to the solid programs: Top to mid D1, upper end D2 and D3, and the best Jucos.

Here's the assumption:

1. Some players are great. But, everyone is good. These are the top 5% of players between ages 18 and 22 who are currently not professionals. There's no one at this level who can't play well.

2. Whatever is your primary position, there's at least one player also on the roster now who is more than capable of stepping in for you and handling the responsibilities of that position in a way that can help the team.

3. If the school is not recruiting a player to take your place this year, they will be doing it next year. You will never be on the team for more than 2 years without having someone younger behind you with the desire and skills to take your starting position.

Is this all correct or am I way off course here?

PS - this assumption is for the normal players. Obviously, if you are Casey Martin or Kumar Rocker, then you are in a different class.

1. varies by roster but there will be considerably more then 9 position players who can play well, if there are some that can't it doesn't matter due the sheer numbers who can. 

2. yes pretty much always true unless you are on a bad team. they all different skill sets but ultimately yes there many backups from other spots that can move other positions quickly and easy. Pitchers obviously aren't normal players so I don't include them. Catching is the only spot this doesn't usually apply, most teams carry at least 4 so it isn't like there will no competition but it doesn't usually come from other spots. I say usually because it could...

3. if you are on a successful program you will have new blood every year that hits your criteria, you will never be on a team where someone younger isn't being recruited to compete for starting positions. Hell they are already recruiting your potential replacement before you get to the team. 

College baseball is a nasty cut throat business, you will learn the real business world is kinder and more patient in the long run.