Skip to main content

Reply to "Astros from National League to American league..."

quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
quote:
Originally posted by EdgarFan:
For the Mariners (and the rest of the AL West) it means the end of the advantage they've enjoyed for quite some time - only needing to beat three teams in the standings to make the playoffs!

Um, yeah, Seattle really used that to their advantage. Even the Cubs have been in the postseason more in the last 35 years.

I didn't say they had used it to their advantage, just that it was an advantage.

Geez, between the guy who wants to pick apart my use of the word "reconcile" in relation to making the rules relating to the DH the same league to league (a point that was plainly obvious in context, and which you really have to work hard to find something to pick at) and now you ridiculing the use of the word "advantage" (which it plainly is) to poke fun of my Mariners...tough crowd.

I'll engage on this, though: I don't know that it is fair to compare the FIRST 35 years of a club's history with the last 35 years of a club with a 136-year history. The Cubs (or more correctly, the franchise now known as the Cubs) went the first 30 years (1876-1905) of their existence without a playoff appearance, and had another 38-year playoff drought (1946-1983). And relatively speaking, the Mariners (4 apperances in 35 years, 11.43%) and the Cubs (16 appearances in 136 years, 11.76%) have been about equally futile.

The Mariners history is not pretty, for sure, but I'm not sure Cubs fans have a lot of reason to feel superior....