Skip to main content

Reply to "Astros from National League to American league..."

Some people have a problem with Edgar Martinez being in the Hall of Fame because he was a DH most of his ML career, but my thinking is that it is a bonified position in the American League and has been for over thirty years. Just as I feel about closers, I feel that probably only the very best examples of the two(closers and DH's) should be in the Hall of Fame. Mariano Rivera and Edgar Martinez are the two I would start with and I would probably be EXTREMELY strict on the rest since most closers are failed starters and many great starters could probably have put up huge save numbers if they were converted to closers. Truthfully it would take an Edgar Martinez's career with some of the numbers mentioned by EdgarFan for me to let in the Hall as a DH. In my book, even an excellent hitter like Harold Baines doesn't quite make it. Same thing with closers--Mariano, Gossage and Eckersley make it but really few if any others to this point. One freak case might be Smoltz with his COMBINATION of wins and saves.