Skip to main content

Reply to "At what age should daddy ball stop?"

Thanks ClevelandDad.
I always tell him to do the best he can do, put in the maximum effort, and everything else should take care of itself.
It's kind of funny how his baseball "career" got started. When he was 7, one of his friends asked him about going out for Pee-Wee baseball. My son had no desire to play baseball (he watched it on TV once or twice and thought it was boring), and he wanted to be a quarterback in football. But since his friend was trying out, he decided it might be fun.
When he was a toddler, I gave him a small bean bag (hacky-sack) to throw to me. He showed evidence of having a naturally strong arm even then. We played catch with a mini-football almost every day through his early days, so he had developed a pretty strong and accurate arm. But when he showed up at baseball practice for the first time, most of the other kids had played T-Ball, and were familiar with the game, so my son was placed in right field. During the first day of outfield practice, my son showed he could throw a baseball from right field to home plate on a fly. The next practice he was on 3rd base and hasn't left the infield since. He has volunteered to catch too (he likes throwing kids out trying to steal second). He's not a big kid either. I see a lot of kids that are big for their age who dominate in their age group. He's actually one of the smallest kids in his class - he's due for a growth spurt. LOL.
So he gave up his quarterback dreams and spends most of his hours (when he's not doing his schoolwork) playing or thinking about playing baseball. By the way, his idol is Tim Lincecum . . . another small man with a big arm.
Thanks again for your sound advice.