Skip to main content

Reply to "Athletic Scholarship Player vs Academic Scholarship Player"

johnlanza posted:
cabbagedad posted:
johnlanza posted:

In the college world, would more opportunities be given to an athletic-scholarship player vs an academic-scholarship player?

If you're talking about baseball opportunities, generally, more will be given to the athletic scholy player.  

I know I'm stating the obvious... why do i feel like this is sort of a trick question?    Johnlanza, what is the back story here?

Not a trick question at all - I was probably a little vague.

At a prospect camp, this question came up (not me, it was another parent) during the parent Q&A with the head coach. His answer surprised me a bit. He said non-athletic scholarship position players have equal chances with scholarship players to become starters.

i figured it would be similar to a first round pick getting more opportunities than say a tenth round pick - you ride the pick (or scholarship athlete) until they prove they can’t play.

Haha... sounds like a coach with very little scholy money to offer    Really, though, that is the only PC way for a coach to answer the question.  I think your analogy is on the right track.  And, to be fair, there are PLENTY of non-scholy players that take PT away from scholy players in many programs.  In reality, many schools have limited resources and many RC's are young without a ton of experience, particularly at lower level colleges.  They only get to see so much of a player before offering and before the player shows up in the fall.  Also, there is development that occurs at the school and players react differently to different teaching and coaching styles.  It is also common that schools are not fully funded so many, if not the majority, players are not on athletic scholy.  So, again, for many reasons, non-scholy kids will win PT.

That said, I go back to the "all things being equal" statement.  If a decent program is fairly well funded, there will be plenty of good players and many will have scholy $.  You don't want to be the player without.  If your skill set stood out among this group, they would have given you $ in the first place.  So, now, you are in a tough spot trying to create enough separation beyond the kids they gave $ to.

Last edited by cabbagedad