Skip to main content

Reply to "Athletic Scholarship Player vs Academic Scholarship Player"

younggun posted:
anotherparent posted:

On the other thread now current (https://community.hsbaseballwe...yers-on-fall-rosters), we are told that the coach will take the best, and run off athletic scholarship or non-scholarship players as he feels appropriate.  No-one seems to know if all 40-50 on the fall roster were "guaranteed" a spring roster spot or not, but even if they were, they can be cut because the coach is in the business of winning.  So, which is it?  And, do you view an athletic scholarship a "guaranteed spring roster spot"?

Ok I’ll try to answer your 2 questions. The last one is pretty easy. Yes, an athletic scholarship is most definitely a guaranteed roster spot for the spring. Any athlete receiving athletic money counts toward the 11.7 total scholarship. So a coach would be extremely unlikely to “cut” one of those guys. 

This also kind of answers your first question. All the above responses are spot on. In the fall, everyone has a shot. The truth is, as stated multiple places above, the athletic money guys WILL have more chances to fail. But, if you are a walk-in with zero money and you mash, I guarantee you he will he kept around. Like another poster stated above, it may be at the expense of an upper classman. 

YG, the rules changed last year. If a scholarship kid "voluntarily" withdraws from the team, he can be replaced with a non-scholarship player before the season begins. I don't have first-hand knowledge of this happening, but I assume that it does.

Edited to remove wrong info about awarding scholarship to replacement player.

Last edited by MidAtlanticDad