Skip to main content

Reply to "Attend a HF Camp Before Taking SAT/ACT?"

With a 2018 who went to the Nov HF camp and has been to a PG showcase I'll throw out a few things:  

At HF, college coaches beyond HPY were continuing to piece together 2017's. HPY, Duke, Vandy were focused on 2018 Pitchers throwing 86+. If you were a big position player with strong measurables and a good first ACT you were noticed.  But the attention for 2018's was on pitching.  If you look on PG, check out the few commits from class of 2018 for H & Y and look at their ACT scores.  If a 2018 position player made good plays, they were noticed, but unless they already had a strong ACT it was unlikely there was serious conversation.  My son played SS most of time, played very well, with strong velo's, our expectations were reasonable, son focused on playing hard and getting one on one time with college coaches he'd already communicated with.  Son also had his first ACT score to relay to coaches.  It was a good first score 29-31 area, but not an attention getter for any Ivy this early in the process.  A strong player with a strong ACT will get the early attention.

Before you sign up for the PG camp get a gun on him and see where he's at.  Feb could be early for him to be hitting peak velo after shut down and ramp up.  The showcases are about measureables first...  You have time to get your son stronger.  If your son is physically ready, different story for Feb PG showcase.  Could be a good time to get benchmarked.  Look on PG at the profiles of 2017 and 2018's that received good PG ratings early on, what was their velo and write up like? 

Rambling here, just a few quick thoughts knowing I've likely misspelled something....