Skip to main content

Reply to "Attend Fall Headfirst Session?"

JCG posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Just make sure you're not relying solely on HF/big showcase events.  My son received multiple HA offers, without ever attending any such event (wasn't strong enough as rising Junior, offers came in summer of rising senior).

The offers he received were from us reaching out to the schools he was interested in, going to their camps and showing a true interest in their programs.

I think this proves it's not a one-size fits all, even for HA D3.  

My son, and those of several others playing D3 that I've talked to, never did a single school camp.  During his rising senior summer, my son did Stanford and HF, and either one would have been enough for him to find a good home. However, in the end it turned out that the only event he really needed to attend was a local showcase, the NorCal World Series.

.... but of course we know that only in hindsight, so I have no regrets about sending him to the others.

Full disclosure, we intended on going to HF in August, but didn't end up needing to.  I didn't intend on shooting it down.

I think a lot of it is based on timing of the players maturity.  My RHP  is a slow grower and was sitting 83 during summer of rising Junior year.  I figured those numbers, plus his smaller frame at the time, were not going to turn any heads.  The we decided not to go this year after he received the offers he was looking for.