Skip to main content

Reply to "Attending first showcase-what to do?"

TPM...Very impressive. Congratulations for not letting him give into the lure of the curve! It will be fun to watch him excel this year!

With all due respects, Velocity is another area where your "Blue Chip" world and my real world of "less than Blue chips" differs.

You are absolutley correct, pitching craft asnd movement is most important....in the Blue Chip World where high velocity is common.

Here is the reality right now for most college prospects...not the blue chips mind you, but good young pitchers who throw 85-86.

Am currently in touch with at least 8 parents of '06 pitchers who have really developed the
craft, demonstrated a solid ability to get players out at their high schools, in select team play, and in well known regional showcases in the last two and a half months.

At 85-86 MPH they have all been told that they have nice motions, and good pitch selection but do not have the velocity to be even considered no matter how well they pitch or how many kids they get out. They are all DESPERATELY searching for a way to increase velocity. Believe me they would LOVE to meet a DI coach who is looking for pitchers rather than throwers.

As for Maddux....Listen to any game that Maddux pitchers, the announcers go on and on about how it would be impossible for him to make in todays velocity hungry world. Zito had a heck of time getting taken seriously with an 88-89 MPH fastball.

Not saying that it is right...but I can tell you from this years recruiting trenches that it definately is the reality out here right now....
Last edited by observer44