Skip to main content

Reply to "Attrition in one D-3 College Program"

Matt13 posted:

That doesn't sound like much to me. 4-5 rostered as freshmen to 3 seniors? That's the metric you'd want to look at. JV is irrelevant. 

But 2 of the 3 current seniors were actually JV freshman year.  

I should say that the school uses JV as an extended try-out for Frosh, basically.   (they play about 20 games a year).   So that's a peculiar feature of this school.  Transition from JV to Varsity is not automatic, because of all the transfers that come in every year, competing for a spot. 

The  TOTAL  roster is usually only 41-42 players  (which is about par for the D3 course from what I can gather.  They VARSITY Roster is usually less than 30.   So the varsity roster is typically smallish, in comparison with some other D3 schools. 

Of the 4-5 rostered on the varsity as Frosh that year, only 1 is left.  Plus I should say that of the 5 (it turns out, I went back and double checked) all but 2 of them were "co-rostered."  and 3 of the 5 saw NO action.) 

The guy who moved into the starting rotation as a frosh,  had a bad summer league experience,  and disagreements with the coach, and quit at the beginning of sophomore year. 

Last edited by SluggerDad