Skip to main content

Reply to "Attrition in one D-3 College Program"

Matt13 posted:
Stuckinnewengland posted:

It probably not irrelevant to the 25 kids that get recruited every year to this program who don't make the team.

You are correct, but we all know that is a subject not mentioned heretofore and thus has no bearing on my comment. 

It was explicitly mentioned as a peculiar feature of this program -- which as I said is run more like a D2 program (with lots of transfers and drop downs coming in) and frosh having to compete like hell for a roster spot.  So I'm not sure why you are taking issue with this remark. 

Look at it this way of the 30 freshman were recruited that year,  15 freshman remained in the program throughout the first year, in some form or other, and of those 15,  3 remain as seniors.  That's what struck me. 

(By the way,  I imagine that in a differently structured program those 12 players rostered as the JV guys freshman year  would have been on the varsity, but would have been bench warmers.  This program instead gave them a 20 game try-out  -- against an admittedly strange brew of competition  ... some junior college teams,   some varsity teams from NAIA programs, some JV teams from other NCAA  D3 teams, some club teams from  D1 universities.  The program  kept these guys  in the program for a year and gave the coaches a real chance to evaluate them in game level competition.  I mean the upside of it was that that  year my son actually got more AB's and PT than the upper class men who were bench warmers on the varsity got.  But  that's just a local variant of what goes on in programs with a single and larger varsity roster.)

Last edited by SluggerDad