Skip to main content

Reply to "Attrition in one D-3 College Program"

SluggerDad posted:
Matt13 posted:
Stuckinnewengland posted:

It probably not irrelevant to the 25 kids that get recruited every year to this program who don't make the team.

You are correct, but we all know that is a subject not mentioned heretofore and thus has no bearing on my comment. 

It was explicitly mentioned as a peculiar feature of this program -- which as I said is run more like a D2 program (with lots of transfers and drop downs coming in) and frosh having to compete like hell for a roster spot.  So I'm not sure why you are taking issue with this remark. 

Look at it this way of the 30 freshman were recruited that year,  15 freshman remained in the program throughout the first year, in some form or other, and of those 15,  3 remain as seniors.  That's what struck me. 

(In a differently structured program those 12 players rostered as the JV guys freshman year  would have been on the varsity, but would have been bench warmers.  This program instead gave them a 20 game try-out, which kept them in the program for a year, but that's just a local variant of what goes on in programs with a single and larger varsity roster,) 

That level of recruitment isn't really out of the norm. 

I didn't have an issue with the comment; however it seemed intentionally obtuse given that I was clearly talking about metrics and methodology. I didn't even know he was referring to the recruiting piece vice the emotions of the players, so that is why I thought the subject hadn't been mentioned.