Skip to main content

Reply to "Attrition in one D-3 College Program"

Any college that has JV recruits to fill spots and make money.  They are required to fill that JV to bring in money for the program and ultimately the school.  They give you a few thousand dollars and you give them many thousand dollars.  That system works great in any industry.  I know no player or parent of player goes there thinking I'm just going to play JV but that is reality for 90% of them in any college.  They bring in a couple of players who have a legitimate chance of making V as freshman and then bring in others to fill the spots on JV, make them money, and hope one or two will grow into a Varsity player.  I tell players all the time that if you are looking at a school with a JV you need to honestly ask the coach are you being brought in to play Varsity or JV.  Then you have to decide how important it is to you after the coach answers.  If he answers Varsity, then ask for a guaranteed spot.  If his answer is JV with a chance to play varsity at some point, then you are a JV fill in player which is okay for some guys who just want to continue the dream or enjoy the game.