Skip to main content

Reply to "Attrition in one D-3 College Program"

There are a lot of

SluggerDad posted:
PitchingFan posted:

Any college that has JV recruits to fill spots and make money.  They are required to fill that JV to bring in money for the program and ultimately the school.  They give you a few thousand dollars and you give them many thousand dollars.  That system works great in any industry.  I know no player or parent of player goes there thinking I'm just going to play JV but that is reality for 90% of them in any college.  They bring in a couple of players who have a legitimate chance of making V as freshman and then bring in others to fill the spots on JV, make them money, and hope one or two will grow into a Varsity player.  I tell players all the time that if you are looking at a school with a JV you need to honestly ask the coach are you being brought in to play Varsity or JV.  Then you have to decide how important it is to you after the coach answers.  If he answers Varsity, then ask for a guaranteed spot.  If his answer is JV with a chance to play varsity at some point, then you are a JV fill in player which is okay for some guys who just want to continue the dream or enjoy the game.

GUARANTEED SPOTS?    What are those?  

Most schools that have JV teams also bring in a few guys that are truly for their varsity and have a chance of playing as freshman or transfers.  The coaches do not guarantee them a place on the starting lineup but guarantee them a spot on the Varsity versus putting them on the JV and hoping they make Varsity.  I think you have to ask the tough questions of coaches with JV's and find out if they see you as filling a spot on JV or have a legitimate chance of starting on varsity or at least being on varsity.  Most people do not want to ask the tough questions when they are being recruited because they believe the coaches hold all the power and all the cards.  They don't want to scare off the one recruiting them so they remain silent and hope for the best.  I also believe this is why there are so many transfers or guys who drop out of baseball.  Ask the tough questions up front and do the research.  Find out how many are coming in from all the various forms before you commit.