Skip to main content

Reply to "Automate ball and strike calls?"

Originally Posted by bballman:

Stats, you have to be THE  most condescending, arrogant poster on this board. Every argument I make is, at some point in your post, countered by a statement that I don't know what I'm talking about or saying that I'm not informed about baseball issues. I need to go back to not responding to any post you are involved in.

I’m sorry you feel that way, but I’m not trying to do anything other than say there’s no reason to dismiss it happening until there’s more information to make a judgment on. Not one person in authority has made any statement about it other than saying it will not happen this season. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t being considered, because it is, and a heck of a lot of $$$$ is being spent looking into it.

At the risk of staying involved in this conversation, how many games have you seen where umpires went to instant replay more than 2 or 3 times to decide a call during the course of a game?

I don’t know. I’ve watched a couple dozen ML games so far this year, but I don’t keep track of how many times it happens, and I don’t watch every second of every game. My “perception” is that it happens at least a few times every game.  

I'm just going to leave this with I think that a computer calling balls and strikes in a game is not at all what I want to see become a part of the game.

And I’ve tried very hard to get across that not only do I respect that opinion, at the present time it’s the majority opinion of ML owners. But the number of people having that opinion has changed over the last few years. IMHO as more people become more informed about the technology, people see that the IR now being used is working, technology as it always does improves, and MLB studies it more, we’ll see the majority opinion change. Maybe not the majority opinion of lay people like ourselves, but the majority opinion of the only people who count, and that’s the 30 ML owners.

10 years ago virtually no one wanted to see IR in baseball, but that’s changed dramatically. My guess is, the majority of lay people don’t want what was instituted this season, but its here, being used, and gonna stay. I’m confident the same thing’s gonna happen with calling pitches not swung at. It won’t happen in the next few years perhaps, but I think the odds of it happening in my lifetime have gotten a lot better in the last few years.

For those who haven’t read it, here’s the official MLB info on reviewing plays.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/officia...es/replay_review.jsp