Skip to main content

Reply to "Automated Strike Zone Gets Test Run"

real green,

I respect your point of view.

In each sport I officiated, I started with the same point of view.

In football, I had to learn not to call some technical violations that didn't affect fairness of competition, safety, or sportsmanship.

In baseball, I learned to admit to myself there are more uncertainties than I first realized, and I learned to resolve those uncertainties (and a hairsbreadth or a just-nicked-or-just-missed is within the range of uncertainty of my fallible senses) in favor of the rough justice I just described. 

It's not taking over the game. It's not overstepping my authority. It's taking responsibiliy to make calls within the range of uncertainty that support the most just outcome.  

And I don't agree that the batter who took that 0-2 pitch did a better job than the pitcher who painted the black. Nobody I've umped has an eye that good.  The batter might have frozen. He might have panicked. He might have known he couldn't handle the pitch and just abandoned his fate to my mercy. 

I'm not convinced having micron-level accuracy to justify takes when batters should be swinging would improve games--not at the youth, high school, and amateur adult levels I work.

Last edited by Swampboy