Skip to main content

Reply to "Automated Strike Zone Gets Test Run"

Originally Posted by Swampboy:

…I'm not convinced having micron-level accuracy to justify takes when batters should be swinging would improve games--not at the youth, high school, and amateur adult levels I work.

I don’t know about what crusade anyone else might be on, but to me the issue is simple and limited to pitches not swung at. If the batter doesn’t swing and the pitch touches the strike zone it should be called a strike, otherwise it should be called a ball. It’s just that simple.

Since all anyone’s talking about right now is professional baseball, questions as to whether or not the strike zone is appropriate for every venue isn’t even on my radar. However, fair or unfair, I honestly don’t want the umpire deciding anything on that basis. Not because I think it’s somehow wrong, but because every umpire will have a different sense of what’s fair and what isn’t. Just call what’s seen and be done with it.

But something to consider is, maybe if the pitches not swung at could be called within microns at every level, look how easy it would be for an organization to change the definition of the strike zone for every level! For the little ones who can barely throw a pitch over the plate, make it nose to toes and widen it up by a few inches inside. IOW, the strike zone could be very easily be made venue “appropriate” and still remain consistent, “fair”, and within the rules.

Here’s the thing. Since all anyone’s doing is speculating since tonight will be the 1st time it’s ever happened, anything’s possible and everything has just as much chance of being good or bad for the game. All I‘m saying is why prejudge it one way or the other? Heck, maybe the answer is to give the manager the opportunity to get a review on a pitch the same way he can get a review on other things. I’m just looking for a way to improve the game.