Skip to main content

Reply to "Automated Strike Zone Gets Test Run"

Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:
Originally Posted by bballman:
Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:
Originally Posted by bballman:

On the second video - horrible, horrible call by the replay officials.  Not only was it a horrible call, but it took 6 minutes to make it?  Come on man....  There in lies part of the problem with IR.  Humans still have to look at the video and interpret, but they take FOREVER to do it.  Put a time limit on it, at the least - 1 minute max for review. If you can't decide in 1 minute, the call stands.  I know I'll catch some flack about it, but that's the way I feel...

I would argue that the problem in this particular case is with the rule, not IR. Did the throw pull the C across the 3rd base line or did he step over on his own. It's a poorly written rule, and I think it will be changed soon. Most of the IR calls I've seen take less time than a manager coming out to argue.

I do miss some of the nuanced calls, like the SS toe dragging behind the 2nd base to protect himself.

Is it not true that once the catcher has the ball, he can block the plate?  Maybe not, I don't profess to be totally clear on the nuances of the rule.  If the catcher CAN block the plate once he has the ball, then I don't even see a violation here.  The ball was caught by the catcher while the runner was still 2 or 3 strides up the line.

"7.13.2 Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score."

The catcher was clearly straddling the 3rd base line before he had the ball. I think MLB has attempted to make some "clarifications" to the rule to bring in some common sense, but that's easier said than done.

OK, but at what point does it become blocking?  This catcher moved into the basepath to catch the ball.  And the runner was still a considerable distance from the plate when he did so.  When he gained possession of the ball, the runner was still at least 2 or 3 strides from the plate.  Was he REALLY impeding the runner's path before he had the ball?  I guess it's all pretty subjective...

Last edited by bballman