Skip to main content

Reply to "Average 60 yard times by age"

nxt lvl posted:

My 2018  went to a PG event the summer after his Freshman year and had his 60 time recorded at 7.2. He was in the top five for his age group. He has not been able to go to another PG showcase yet and is upset that his time is "stuck" at 7.2 with PG on the website when he ran a 6.6 this past January at another showcase.( bigger stronger and much faster) I was told the only way to post a better time is to do another PG showcase (The WWBA and the other PG tournaments do not have a timed 60 run only PG showcases). He has been to other camps where recruiters have timed his game speed from home to first base and was told that was more important to colleges.

I am not sure about the average improvement in the 60 each year but I know that you can expect to get faster as you mature in high school.  Are colleges moving more toward the recorded speeds of a player going from the plate to first? I think the 60 is not a baseball measurement anyway. 

Does anyone know what the average college time from home to first is? MLB average also?

I've heard this a LOT.  It is one of the reasons coaches caution showcasing early.  Those stats get "stuck" on the players PG page and they won't go away until you replace them with another showcase.

A local 2016 D1 recruit, whose parents apparently had money to burn, went to SIX showcases from 2012-2016.  Each time he focused and trained for only one thing, for example he trained hard and only focused on his 60 time for one of the showcases, only focused on getting his pop time down for another showcase.  While all measurables were taken at each showcase the home page of the player shows you the best times/speed in those categories.

If you read the fine print on his PG page you would see that his best pop time was from 2013, his best 60 time was from 2015, best FB was from 2016....but when you pull up his page you see he had MANY great numbers, it was impressive, but wow that must have been expensive!