Skip to main content

Reply to "AZ Fall Classic Junior/Senior All Academic Game"

So my 2017 applied to be a part of this year's Senior All Academic game.  His primary position is a catcher, but he also pitches a little bit now and then on his travel team.  Once he confirmed with his travel team that we were in for the Senior Classic games, he then signed up on the web page.  I want to say it was early July.  He listed Catcher but they have a question if you are willing to be a pitcher if not selected for your primary position.  He checked yes.

As the date neared for them to post the kids "invited" for the tryout, he got an e-mail from them saying Catcher was full and he was not being invited to tryout as catcher, but since he indicated pitcher as well, would he want to try out as pitcher?  They made it clear it was first come, first served on the responses.  So he replied immediately and then showed up on the invite list on the web page.  The funny thing is, 86 kids showed up as pitcher only, and he was actually chosen to be one of the 20 who pitched in the game (based on 15 pitches thrown in the bullpen tryout).  Although he was hoping to go as a catcher, spending an inning on the mound in the main stadium was really a neat experience for him, and another ten colleges or so reached out to him after the event.  So if your son can pitch even a little, be sure to add it.

I also do not know what the criteria for why some kids are chosen to tryout over the others.  My son did not make the GPA threshold, but was well above both the ACT and SAT minimums.  Maybe you have to hit all three to get an invite to your primary position?  I think all of the teams selectively invited to attend the Fall Classic are pretty solid travel teams, so I would be surprised if they were able to differentiate playing ability just based on what team you list.  There is no affiliation with PG, but perhaps they could do some research of players that way.  And with my son applying in July, he certainly would have been one of the earlier ones if they gave priority to that.  However they do it, I will say based on what I saw at tryouts and in the game, these high academic kids can also play baseball and the number of coaches (I would say at least 60+) who watched the tryouts and games shows it is really worthwhile to sign up for it.