Skip to main content

Reply to "."

@Dadbelly2023, sorry about your underwhelming experience as a whole at the AZ Jr Fall Classic. My son did it last year and it was overall a decent experience for him. My son made the Academic team/game and performed well. The best part about it for him (opinion alert) was not just that he was one of 6 catchers out of 36 kids that tried out to make the squad but that there were several great catchers from TX - WA that were there that did not make the academic game. It was the first time my kid had played outside of our 3 state area here in the upper midwest. He definitely felt like he belonged with the better kids. My son has tracked it and he believes that of the catchers one kid committed to Stanford, another to Johns Hopkins, another to an Ivy, and a 4th to a D1 I cant recall right now. (my kid is still uncommitted at this time...has some options but had a pretty rocky spring summer from an injury standpoint)

It stunk that D1 coaches were not allowed to be present to recruit cuz my kid raked in the BP portion of the tryout (had heard that the year prior coaches were 3-5 deep all around the BP field) and was good enough in the defensive portion of the tryout to make the Academic Game. He played on the academic orphan team and honestly we did not expect much for recruiting from that team. We just did not want to fly 3 hours each way and not play for the weekend if he did not make the academic game. He was below average for himself on the team but it was pretty hard to get in much of a flow with the weird lineups and covid tourney rules. I (and my kid) thought that the coaching was excellent on the team and while he wished he had more ab's he did feel like he learned some things from the coaching staff and they gave him some great feedback via email post weekend. The head coach even volunteered to write to any coaches we were in contact with talking about his coaching thoughts on my kid. I think that it held some weight as the coaches both were (and probably still are) coaching in the Angels system.

Its all a grind and I wish you and DB son the best in this process.